Friday, March 14


by Anne McQuiston

As I think about when I have experienced the Peace of Christ, the first thought that comes to mind is times that I have prayed and meditated in the chapel. When we had a Good Friday vigil, I would go to the chapel late in the evening and often be alone. Using guided readings, reflecting and praying, I would completely lose track of time. A peace and calm would sweep over me as I became aware of a love so complete there is no fear for the future. When I leave I carry that peace and calm with me. However, taking time for prayer and reflection keeps me from being overwhelmed by life’s ups and downs no matter where I am.

Confronted with the hurts, pains and losses that we all experience, I find that I am able to sense the Peace of Christ and Love of God as words of scripture, hymns and songs come to mind. What comes to me most frequently is the benediction from Numbers 6:24-26. John Rutter has written a beautiful choral rendition that I particularly like:

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you. The Lord lift up the light of his countenance upon you and give you peace. Amen.

Another that comes to me is

Jesus, remember me, when you come into your Kingdom.

I find by practicing a spiritual discipline, my life becomes more peaceful and less distressful.

The Peace of Christ is God’s great gift to us all.


Lift in prayer today
Religious leaders in our community